You are currently viewing What kind of home insurance do I need when I’m selling my house?
home-insurance, home-insurance-for-a-house-on-the-market, selling-a-house, homeowners-insurance,

What kind of home insurance do I need when I’m selling my house?

You’ve decided to list your home for sale. Great! Now that you’re officially ready to list your house on the market, what do you do with your home insurance?

One of the first questions an insurance agent will ask is: Are you living in the home while it is listed for sale? If you are your homeowner’s policy doesn’t need any changes. If your home will be unoccupied or vacant while for sale, there’s a completely different policy you will need in order to be properly insured. It is called a Vacant Dwelling Policy.

home for sale

Coverage on a Vacant Dwelling Policy can change from insurance carriers to insurance carrier. We recommend looking at your current policy to see how the insurance company handles unoccupied or vacant dwellings while the house is being listed. Some companies will cover you up to 12 calendar months from the day it’s listed for sale. If you’ve looked at the policy and are still not sure you have proper coverage your best bet is to talk to your agent.

Also remember, if you’re in the process of buying a new house talk to your agent about setting up a policy to be effective the date you close the deal. The same goes for when your previous home sells. Make sure to call and cancel your homeowner’s policy.

Written by,

Ryan Miller, Licensed Insurance Agent &

Karlee Miller, Creative Admin.